On behalf of the Nikola team, I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of Nikola v8.0.0b2. This release fixes some bugs found in v8.0.0b1, and adds a few new appearance features (featured posts, alternate navigation links)
The final version of Nikola v8 should be out in early June. We welcome everyone to test it with their site and report any issues to make it the best release ever.
What is Nikola?¶
Nikola is a static site and blog generator, written in Python. It can use Mako and Jinja2 templates, and input in many popular markup formats, such as reStructuredText and Markdown — and can even turn Jupyter Notebooks into blog posts! It also supports image galleries, and is multilingual. Nikola is flexible, and page builds are extremely fast, courtesy of doit (which is rebuilding only what has been changed).
Find out more at the website: https://getnikola.com/
Install using pip install Nikola==8.0.0.b2.
Important compatibility changes not mentioned previously¶
- You need <a class="reference"> (instead of image-reference) to activate the lightbox now
- Add NAVIGATION_ALT_LINKS option, displayed on the right side in bootstrap4/bootblog4 (Issue #3030)
- Added documentation of Post objects to list of template variables (Issue #3003)
- Support featured posts in bootblog4 (Issue #2964)
- Add THEME_CONFIG setting that themes can use in any way
- Use youtube-nocookie.com for better privacy in youtube reST directive and improve the appearance of the player
Featured post details: https://getnikola.com/handbook.html#featured-posts
- Improve appearance of bootblog4 on mobile (Issue #3069)
- Make smartjoin more flexible (Issue #3080)
- Make post-list and post_list synonymous (Issue #3083)
- Support CATEGORY_DESTPATH_NAMES with pages following destpath
- Make CATEGORY_PAGES_FOLLOW_DESTPATH more resilient (Issue #3081)
- Guard against null items in gallery meta files (Issues #3076, #3077)
- Respect USE_FILENAME_AS_TITLE in galleries with a meta file
- Fix gallery metadata for multilingual sites (Issue #3078)