On behalf of the Nikola team, I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of Nikola v7.8.15 and v8.0.0b1.
Nikola v7.8.15 is the last v7 maintenance release with a few more bug fixes.
Nikola v8.0.0b1 (Beta 1) is the first test release of the v8 series. The v8 series adds a ton of new features and fixes bugs, while also breaking backwards compatibility.
What is Nikola?¶
Nikola is a static site and blog generator, written in Python. It can use Mako and Jinja2 templates, and input in many popular markup formats, such as reStructuredText and Markdown — and can even turn Jupyter (IPython) Notebooks into blog posts! It also supports image galleries, and is multilingual. Nikola is flexible, and page builds are extremely fast, courtesy of doit (which is rebuilding only what has been changed).
Find out more at the website: https://getnikola.com/
Install using pip install Nikola==7.8.15 or pip install Nikola==8.0.0.beta1.
Before upgrading to Nikola v8, make sure to read the “Upgrading” document.
Changes in v7.8.15¶
- Fix behavior for posts not available in default language (Issues #2956 and #3073)
- Fix behavior of RSS_PATH to do what the documentation says it does (Issue #3024)
- Use documented dateutil API for time zone list (Issue #3006)
Changes in v8.0.0b1¶
Important compatibility changes¶
- Rename crumbs.tmpl to ui_helper.tmpl and the breadcrumbs bar function to breadcrumbs (your templates may need changing as well)
- Rename post.is_mathjax to post.has_math. Themes using post.is_mathjax must be updated; it is recommended that they are changed to use math_helper.tmpl.
- Reading reST docinfo metadata, including first heading as title, requires USE_REST_DOCINFO_METADATA now (Issue #2987)
- RSS feeds might have changed their places due to RSS_PATH behavior changes (you may need to change RSS_PATH, RSS_FILENAME_BASE)
- Atom feeds for archives and Atom pagination are no longer supported (Issue #3016)
- Sections are replaced by categories (Issue #2833)
- Support hackerthemes.com themes and renamed bootswatch_theme command subtheme (Issue #3049)
- Add DISABLE_MAIN_ATOM_FEED setting (Issue #3016, Issue #3039)
- Add ATOM_FILENAME_BASE setting (defaults to index for existing sites, but feed for new sites) (Issue #3016)
- Add CATEGORY_DESTPATH_AS_DEFAULT, CATEGORY_DESTPATH_TRIM_PREFIX, CATEGORY_DESTPATH_FIRST_DIRECTORY_ONLY settings, as part of replacing sections with categories (Issue #2833)
- Tags draft, private and mathjax are no longer treated special if USE_TAG_METADATA is set to False (default for new sites) (Issue #2761)
- Replace draft and private tags with a status meta field (supports published, featured, draft, private) and mathjax with .. has_math: yes (Issue #2761)
- Rename TAG_PAGES_TITLES → TAG_TITLES, TAG_PAGES_DESCRIPTIONS → TAG_DESCRIPTIONS.
- Rename CATEGORY_PAGES_TITLES → CATEGORY_TITLES, CATEGORY_PAGES_DESCRIPTIONS → CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS.
- Produce a better error message when a template referenced in another template is missing (Issue #3055)
- Support captioned images and image ordering in galleries, as well as arbitrary metadata through a new metadata.yml file (Issue #3017, Issue #3050, Issue #2837)
- New ATOM_PATH setting (Issue #2971)
- Make crumbs available to all pages
- Allowing to customize RSS and Atom feed extensions with RSS_EXTENSION, ATOM_EXTENSION settings (Issue #3041)
- Allowing to customize filename base appended to RSS_PATH with RSS_FILENAME_BASE setting (Issue #3041)
- Use basic ipynb template by default for slightly better appearance and behavior
- Fixing behavior of RSS_PATH to do what the documentation says it does (Issue #3024)
- Add support for fragments in path handlers (Issue #3032)
- New METADATA_VALUE_MAPPING setting to allow for flexible global modification of metadata (Issue #3025)
- New smartjoin template function/filter that joins lists and leaves strings as-is (Issue #3025)
- Explain index.html conflicts better (Issue #3022)
- Recognize both TEASER_END and (new) END_TEASER (Issue #3010) (warning: if you perform manual splits, the regex change means new indexes must be used)
- New MARKDOWN_EXTENSION_CONFIGS setting (Issue #2970)
- Replace flowr.js with justified-layout.js by Flickr (does not require jQuery!)
- bootblog4 is the new default theme (Issue #2964)
- New bootstrap4 and bootblog4 themes (Issue #2964)
- New Thai translation by Narumol Hankrotha and Jean Jordaan
- Support for Commento comment system (Issue #2773)
- New PRESERVE_ICC_PROFILES option to control whether ICC profiles are preserved when copying images.
- Use baguetteBox in Bootstrap theme (part of Issue #2777)
- New default-config command to generate a clean configuration.
- New thumbnail shortcode similar to the reStructuredText thumbnail directive (via Issue #2809)
- Rewrite nikola auto with asyncio and aiohttp (Issue #2850)
- New listings shortcode similar to the reStructuredText listings directive (Issue #2868)
- Switch to reStructuredText’s new HTML 5 renderer (Issue #2874)
- Deprecate html4css1.css in favor of rst_base.css (Issue #2874)
- Add support for MetadataExtractor plugins that allow custom, extensible metadata extraction from posts (Issue #2830)
- Support YAML and TOML metadata in 2-file posts (via Issue #2830)
- Renamed UNSLUGIFY_TITLES → FILE_METADATA_UNSLUGIFY_TITLES (Issue #2840)
- Add NIKOLA_SHOW_TRACEBACKS environment variable that shows full tracebacks instead of one-line summaries
- Use PRETTY_URLS by default on all sites (Issue #1838)
- Feed link generation is completely refactored (Issue #2844)
- Let path handlers return absolute URLs (Issue #2876)
- Add BLOG_EMAIL to global context to make it available for templates (Issue #2968)
- Fixes behavior for posts not available in default language (Issues #2956 and #3073)
- Always follow FEED_LENGTH for Atom feeds
- Apply filters to all Atom feeds
- Read file metadata if compiler metadata exists and prefer it over compiler metadata (Issue #3008)
- Rename DISABLE_INDEXES_PLUGIN_INDEX_AND_ATOM_FEED to DISABLE_INDEXES and DISABLE_INDEXES_PLUGIN_RSS_FEED to DISABLE_MAIN_RSS_FEED (Issue #3039)
- Make chart shortcode its own plugin and make the reST directive depend on it.
- Put post_list shortcode in its own plugin and make the reST directive depend on it.
- Don’t silence syntax errors and other exceptions that occur while reading metadata
- Use documented dateutil API for time zone list (Issue #3006)
- Handle trailing slash redirects with query strings correctly in nikola serve (Issue #3000)
- Fix w3c validation errors for itemscope entries in default themes
- Hide “Incomplete language” message for overrides of complete languages
- Handle '/' and other absolute paths better in POSTS / PAGES / TRANSLATIONS (Issue #2982)
- Fix loading non-default languages
- Support KaTeX for reST display math (Issue #2888)
- Use npm for asset management instead of bower, which was deprecated (Issue #2790)
- Properly handle SHOW_INDEX_PAGE_NAVIGATION with Jinja templates (Issue #2960)
- Prevent crashes due to Windows-specific code in auto running on all platforms (Issue #2940)
- Don’t run hyphenate on <pre> blocks (Issue #2939)
- Make errors in reST display in logs again
- Unquote paths given to link:// magic URLs (Issue #2934)
- Specify UTF-8 input encoding for Mako as default (Issue #2930)
- Don't trigger rebuilds in auto mode for files it's safe to ignore (Issue #2906)
- Fix padding for Jupyter code blocks (Issue #2927)
- Apply SCHEDULE_ALL to posts only (Issue #2921)
- Restore version number to Bootswatch URLs (Issue #2916)
- Do not strip trailing slash in slug magic links
- Ignore empty tags in HTML metadata reader (Issue #2890)
- Do not remove doctype if add_header_permalinks or deduplicate_ids are used
- Handle empty slug metadata (Issue #2887)
- Fix crash when compiling empty .html posts (Issue #2851)
- Make failures to get source commit hash non-fatal in github_deploy (Issue #2847)
- Less cryptic error when guessing format from extension in new_post fails
- Use Jupyter name more consistently in docs
- Support CODE_COLOR_SCHEME in Jupyter notebooks (Issue #2093)
- Language was not passed to title and link generation for page indexes
- Addressed issue with snaps not allowing certain functions to work properly.
Removed conf.py settings¶
The following settings have been removed. Nikola will now always behave as if the value was what is displayed afer the setting name.
- FEED_PREVIEWIMAGE = True
- SITEMAP_INCLUDE_FILELESS_DIRS = True
- USE_OPEN_GRAPH = True
- USE_BASE_TAG = False
- Removed Colorbox, baguetteBox is used instead (Issue #2777)
- Removed googleplus comments (no longer supported) (Issue #635)
- Removed the slides directive for docutils, it will now be a separate plugin.
- Dropped Python 2 and Python 3.3 support (oldest supported version is 3.4)
- Removed nikola install_theme — use nikola theme instead
- Droppped insecure post “encryption” feature
- Stopped supporting all deprecated config options
- Dropped annotations support (annotateit.org closed down in March 2017)
- Removed taxonomy option also_create_classifications_from_other_languages (Issue #2785) and generate_atom_feeds_for_post_lists (Issue #3016)
- Removed old 7-line metadata format (Issue #2839)
- Atom feeds are now limited to one page (Issue #3016)
- Removed sections (replaced by improved categories) (Issue #2833)