On behalf of the Nikola team, I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of Nikola v7.8.2. It adds a ton of new features, while also fixing some bugs.
- A rewrite of all taxonomies (tags, categories, sections, etc.) in a generic fashion, allowing for much greater flexibility (by Felix Fontein) — adds new settings, enables new features (CREATE_ARCHIVE_NAVIGATION) and customizability
- Automatic cration of year/month/day directory structures (NEW_POST_DATE_PATH)
- Ability to sort posts from within templates (sort_posts)
- API changes for post compilers (new compile, compile_string functions)
- Addition of a generator meta tag to default themes — we hope you do not mind a bit of promotion for Nikola?
What is Nikola?
Nikola is a static site and blog generator, written in Python. It can use Mako and Jinja2 templates, and input in many popular markup formats, such as reStructuredText and Markdown — and can even turn Jupyter (IPython) Notebooks into blog posts! It also supports image galleries, and is multilingual. Nikola is flexible, and page builds are extremely fast, courtesy of doit (which is rebuilding only what has been changed).
Find out more at the website: https://getnikola.com/
Minor API change: The compile_string compiler method (partially internal) now takes a post argument and returns between two and four values, adding shortcode_deps and shortcode support. See issues #2623 and #2624.
- Add meta generator tag to default templates to promote Nikola (Issue #2619)
- Add nikola new_post -d and NEW_POST_DATE_PATH to allow automatic creation of year/month/day (date-based) directory structures (Issue #2513)
- Allow enabling pretty URLs with per-post setting (Issue #2613)
- Add a sort_posts function (available as Jinja filter in global context), which allows general-purpose timeline sorting (Issue #2602)
- Allow creating archive navigation (Issue #1639)
- Accept a page argument for taxonomy paths (Issue #2585)
- Query strings in magic links are passed as keyword arguments to path handlers (via Issue #2580)
- Accept arbitrary arguments to path handlers (via Issue #2580)
- Added new typogrify_oldschool filter (Issue #2574)
- Improving handling of .dep files, and allowing compilers to specify additional targets for the render_posts task (Issue #2536)
- render_template and generic_renderer can now create HTML fragments.
- Plugins can depend on other plugins being installed (Issue #2533)
- The destination folder in POSTS and PAGES can now be translated (Issue #2116)
- Pass post object and lang to post compilers (Issue #2531)
- Pass url_type into template's context.
- Make thumbnail naming configurable with IMAGE_THUMBNAIL_FORMAT.
- There is a new plugin category Taxonomy which allows to easily create new taxonomies. All of the existing taxonomies (authors, archives, indexes, page index, sections, tags, and categories) have been converted to the new system. (Issue #2107)
- Added CATEGORIES_INDEX_PATH, similar to TAGS_INDEX_PATH. (Issue #2567)
- Made INDEX_PATH, RSS_PATH and AUTHOR_PATH translatable. (Issue #1914)
- Added setting SHOW_INDEX_PAGE_NAVIGATION which enables a basic page navigation for indexes. (Issue #2299)
- Added settings DISABLE_INDEXES_PLUGIN_INDEX_AND_ATOM_FEED and DISABLE_INDEXES_PLUGIN_RSS_FEED to disable specific parts of the classify_indexes taxonomy plugin. (Issue #2591)
- Work around conflicts between posts and sections trying to render index.html files (via Issue #2613)
- Make AUTHOR_PAGES_ARE_INDEXES really work (Issue #2600)
- WordPress importer now correctly handles & etc. in tags. (Issue #2557)
- If CODE_COLOR_SCHEME is empty, don’t generate code.css (Issue #2597)
- Don’t warn about nikolademo DISQUS account when comments are disabled (Issue #2588)
- Make data from global context available to templated shortcodes as global_data (Issue #2488)
- Don't crash if plugins is a file (Issue #2539)
- Don't mangle bare # links (Issue #2553)
- generic_index_renderer now always produces output. It previously did not when the post list was empty and INDEXES_STATIC == False. (via Issue #2579)